Sunday, June 21, 2009

Thing #4

I really enjoyed reading the blogs and it seems that you can sort of get to know the author much more so than when reading a book. It is like you are carrying on a conversation with him or her. I love having the option of being able to move around until I find something that really interests me, with just a click of the mouse. So different that starting a book and trying to make myself stay with it just because I have it in my hand, even if it is not holding my interest.

I really enjoyed the blog Is this SSR 2.0 and thought it was interesting to see how intense the students were when using this new approach to reading. It adds a whole new dimension when you are able to read the opinions and comments of other people, and have access to videos and demonstrations on the subject you are reading about. I think that when students are able to actively move through the material, rather than just sit still and try to concentrate on a book, they will be much more successful in completing the work.

I also enjoyed the blog PowerPoint Reform - A First Chapter because it relates to something I use in my job, which is in central office and not in the classroom. I am aware that presentation styles have changed and want to update my ideas and be modern. It is true that we develop habits over the years, and as a result our presentations become stale and boring. I was excited to find information that dealt with something I actually use.

2 comments:

  1. Good job linking to the blog posts that you are referencing.

    A great resource for this new type of PowerPoint presentation that I have used is the book Beyond Bullet Points by Cliff Atkinson. Presentation Zen is another good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Mary. I'll check those out.

    ReplyDelete